Wednesday, January 14, 2009

A Generation Y Mentality

So just in browsing found a pretty interesting little site, which I really am loving because it is some Gen Y mentality versus the workplace. http://www.generationyblog.com/

Here is their latest article daftly named.
"3 Reasons to give the Middle Finger to Corporate America"

So this post is going to be focused on why I give the middle finger to Corporate America, and let me be the first to say that this post isn’t going to be a rant on Wal-Mart and all the sleezy messed up things corporations do, because personally I believe that without the corporations we wouldn’t have much of a life in America.

This post is going to be focused on the reasons why I don’t want to put myself through an extensive process to grabbing a one-of-a-kind, state-of-the-art, desk job, working nine to five at Price Water House Cooper making $55,000 a year plus benefits. To start my reasons why, I’m going to start with the first part of the extensive process.


Reason One: The Interview

Senior Year of college, where you should be in total drunken bliss, but instead you are worrying about your Interview, where someone inside a corporate company gets to sit and judge you over a period of an hour. Companies make judgments and decide if you are good for the company based on body language and mannerisms. So you are telling me that if I cross my legs to the left, but my employer likes his legs crossed to the right, I won’t get the job…basically. And all this.. Just to either let you know that you are going to have to come back for a second Interview or thanks but no thanks, and good bye.

Note: I have been through the Interview Process and have been accepted into a few companies so this is not a bashing rant because I’m pissed that I didn’t get a job

Reason Two: Your a piece of Sh$%

The second reason I give my middle finger to Corporate America is because it doesn’t matter how skilled you are, and what you can do for the company, you are simply a pawn that goes into their strategic chess game. You start as a pawn and you have to work and work and you get promoted a nice 5% increased salary, yet little do you know that the inflation rate was also 5%. After 20 years in the company you might make partner of some sort, and be making a nice $130k a year with benefits. The key thing to note is 20 years.

Reason Three : You can do so much more

Your destiny is not to work for a company for 40 years and then retire. You should make your life extraordinary and really make a difference somehow. My suggestion is to truly find out what you want to do in life. If you want to be in a certain industry, getting the corporate job might be good to get some experience under your belt before you start your own thing. However, don’t get a job just because of money. Money should be your last thought, you can make $250 everyday online and in life. Do something you love, and love what you do.


So there you have it, the mentality of one Gen Y'er.
The complete antithesis of what my parents were taught when they were younger.
I can't help but notice he never uses the word 'career' once in his article.

No comments:

Post a Comment